We offer a range of accredited Open College Network Accredited courses and a number of non-accredited workshops.
All of our courses FREE and open to Coventry residents who are over 16 years of age and currently unemployed and are part-funded by the European Social Fund.
FabLab Coventry Accredited Courses
Learners will be able to apply an understanding of how 2-dimensional design can translate into a 3-dimensional object. Learners will understand health and safety issues and practice related to digital fabrication. They will be able to use software effectively to create unique digital designs to manufacture. They will also be able to fabricate a design using more than one machine or process.
Furniture Factory Accredited Units
Learners will know the health and safety risks associated with working with wood and associated hand tools. They will be able to identify the tools required for a specific task and will be able to plan the manufacture of a specific item. They will be able to use appropriate tools, materials, equipment and techniques to produce a finished item with customised embellishments to a required standard of finish in line with all relevant health and safety regulations and guidelines, including appropriate use of PPE.
© Open College Network West Midlands
**Note: This unit has been developed in accordance with Open College Network West Midlands development standards, however, it does not form part of a regulated qualification and is a
customised unit only.
For more information about the Digital Fabrication Qualification, click here
Learners know the health and safety issues surrounding DIY and working with tools and machinery. They will be able to plan and install an item such as a shelf or shelving unit and tile a specific area while working appropriately with tools and equipment and in line with relevant health and safety regulations, including correct and appropriate use of PPE.
Learners will know the health and safety issues associated with painting and decorating and associated tools and equipment. Learners will know the tools and equipment required for specific tasks and they will be able to prepare area for painting and apply emulsion and gloss paint to a required standard of finish. They will be able to prepare, cut and hang wallpaper to a required standard of finish and will be able to work safety and use relevant PPE for the task.
Learn to 3D Model
- Be able to understand the basics of how to navigate 3D design software packages
- Create basic to intermediate level models in 3D utilising a range of FabLab’s 3D printers.
Learn to Laser
- Be able to use computer aided design software to create unique designs and employ relevant health and practices when laser cutting.
- Develop techniques of precision cutting and etching designs to create a unique product.
Learn to Dye Sublimation
· Gain an introduction to graphic design software to create a bespoke design.
· Learn the process and be able to transfer designs on to fabric using the sublimation printer and heat press.
From time to time we run one off workshops such as T-Shirt Design and Laser Jewellery Making.
Keep an eye on our recent posts and social media for upcoming dates!
FabLab is a registered Online Centre’s Network provider giving learners access to a range of online digital learning modules.
Learners will be able to:
· Navigate a mouse and keyboard to begin using a computer.
· Set up and use an email.
· Word processing.
· Use the internet safely for search engines and browsing.
- Be supported to create a CV that describes their skills, experience and knowledge to attract potential employers.
- Be able to use keywords and transferable skills and experiences effectively to target different industries.
Personal Development Support
Through our funded programmes we are able to offer one to one and small group support in personal development, we can provide interview advice and help you to access a range of support to help you to reach your goals.